Wednesday, 7 November 2012

How to make "Those" Roses

Hello there friends, thank you so  much for all your kind comments on my Gift Bag Tutorial.  It was a struggle, I am not good with the technical side of this computer lark. I will plod on and hopefully you will be able to get the "Gist" of how to make" those" Roses.

You will need;-
Spellbinder Blossom Five or Rose Creations
160 to 220 gsm paper
Scissors
Large headed Embossing Tool (I use the Glitter Girls Ball Tool )
Small headed Embossing Tool
Embossing Mat
Cosmic Shimmer Glue
Kebab Stick
Distress Inks

Through experience I have found that 160 to 220 gsm paper makes the roses easier to manipulate. Do not try to save paper/money by using less than 160gsm it is not worth it your flower will fall to bits.
Don`t use your best paper when experimenting, rummage in your bit box.  Use up all those bits, you will have lots of different roses to play with once you have mastered it. 
I prefer to use Blossom Five Die, I bought the Rose Creation at SECC but still prefer Blossom Five.
Before either of these were produced I used my Spellbinder Classic Circle Die, folding and cutting it in 8 sections, so use what you have.
If you have Rose Creations the process is the same, your petals are already cut for you.  There is quite a big hole in the centre of each shape, just work with that it`s fine.

For a "Large Rose" you will need to cut:-
2 size 2 Die Shapes
2 size 3 Die Shapes
1 size 4 Die Shapes  *
*For the standard Rose just leave out the Large Shape

Right lets get started:-


Cut out your shapes for the amount of Roses you wish to make.  I cut them out double to save time, you don`t need to emboss them.


If you are using white paper distress the edges lightly with a colour of choice.  I have used Victorian Velvet and Squeezed Lemonade. On the small shapes do one colour they are so small you will not see the centre, colour both sides.   Pop some colour in the centre of the bigger shapes, remember to colour  both sides you will see some of the underside when they are made up.


 Cut into towards the centre of each of the "Dips" round the side of all the shapes there are 7.  Be very careful not to cut too far in.

Start with the small shapes and your embossing mat.  My mat is the one I do my paper piercing on..
Pop the small shapes on your embossing mat, with the reverse side facing you.  Using circular movements "Mash" each petal using a Large Embossing tool.  Do this quite firmly you want to soften the paper.  Once you have done that, pop a small embossing tool into the very centre and rotate, this will bring the petals up together. See below:-  
Do the larger shape the same starting on the reverse side.  Turn over and lightly "Mash" the leaves on the right side.  Still using the Large Embossing Tool, rotate in the middle to see it beginning to lift and slightly come together, see below:-


Do all the shapes for one rose.  
Now, here comes the "Messy" bit..................................!!!!
Try not skimp on the Glue, for me the best one is Cosmic Shimmer Dries Clear.  It is a bit more expensive but is the best.  Don`t worry if you use too much on your first trial, remember it "Dries Clear"


Take your first small shape, put plenty of glue on the inside of each petal, take every other petal, go round stick them together, yes! there is an odd one, just stick it, that`s fine. This bit is very fiddly, once you have done it a few times it gets easier.   Twiddle the bud between your thumb and fingers to get it round and stuck.  It will hold together in a couple of minutes, that`s the beauty of Cosmic Shimmer Glue.





Take your next small shape, put a blob of glue in the centre and stroke glue up the inside of each petal.  Do the same as with the first, stick every other petal then that last odd one.

Hopefully you should have something like this. 
I this size for adding buds to my Floral Arrangements.

Are you all still with me???

Take your larger shape, with your Kebab stick (I actually use a small wooden knitting needle) start to give your petals a bit of shape by rolling the edges. some on the right side others on the left some in the middle.



Once that`s done, pop some glue in the centre and up the inside of the petals, start bringing up the petals to attach to the bud.

 
If you have used the 160 to 220gsm it is amazing how you can manipulate paper. Go round and gently squeeze the petals to the bud.  They are "Paper" not fragile "Glass" so give them a squeeze............!!



Are you still there???? 
Take your next shape and repeat the process.  Keep remembering they are paper give them a squeeze at the base.

Now you should have something that looks like this......................this is what I call a "Standard" Rose.*   If you want a larger Rose just repeat and add the largest shape you cut.

 Your Large Rose will look like this.

Once you have got the hang of it, these Roses are quick and easy to make.  I love doing them, I prefer to manipulate paper, making Flowers, Bags and Boxes than making cards.

Ok folks that`s it for today, think I deserve a rest.
I hope I have not driven you crazy with this Turorial
Please ask if there is anything that you don`t "Get"   There is nothing worse than trying something and not mastering it..............................like me and this computer!!!!

Patricia  

After all this I want to see "those" Roses

 

24 comments:

  1. WOW, fabulous tutorial, I have to try this as this die is in my collection. I'll let you know how it goes!

    Cheers,
    Kasey ~ in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Patricia, this tutorial is so easy to follow and very in depth so guess what I shall be trying later. I bought the rose creations die at that SECC and now I want to play. Thanks for all the hard work that you must have put in to produce this, be proud.

    Wilma x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Patricia. I will try this again using your instructions, rather than the ones I got off the intertnet. Very clear and concise instructions. I'm off the the hairdressers this morning so I will play this afternoon hopefully. Have a good day. Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Patricia,
    What a great job you have done with this tutorial, the pictures are great and the explaination is 'spot on'. I will be definitely doing some roses now, next free time I get. Brilliant, thank you, you do deserve a rest today, you are ace.
    Have a relaxing day today.
    Michelle(happy2craft)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for such a wonderful tutorial, you have explained it perfectly

    Hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your tutorial on the roses Patricia, something I should try

    Anne

    ReplyDelete

  7. Well done you big sister. Just think what you have achieved in last couple of weeks
    two tutorials and working out how to use your new phone, I am proud of you as always you go that extra mile to help others. So all you ladies i am looking forward to seeing all
    thses roses on your cards
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! My! Word! sister you have done it!!!
      Great to see you commenting on "MY" Blog.
      Thank you for your first comment.

      Patricia xx

      Delete
    2. Way to go Hazel, want to see more of you here.

      Wilma x x

      Delete
  8. Fantastic!!!! I think you are a natural born teacher. Great tutorial Patricia, very clear and consise instructions. Hello to Hazel, nice to meet you!! have a great day kate x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning Patricia, WOW oh WOW, your tutorial is absolutely fantastic, even I will be able to follow your instructions, it makes such a difference when you have words with piccies. It must have taken you ages to compile this tutorial, but very much appreciated, thank you so much. Beautiful rose, by the way. I have both these dies, so will be giving it a try with the help of your brilliant instructions.
    Congratulations Hazel, on your first post on your Sister's Blog.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Patricia, You have definitely mastered this , great tutorial, must admit I haven't been tough enough with my papers, lol. Have a great relaxing day and we will have you thinking up tutorials for ribbons, buttons and lace soon. So pleased your box was picked for "in the pink" xx Flora

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patricia, you are such a gem. Yout tutorial is so easy to follow and the finished rose is stunning. I love making flowers too. Next on my list is your bag tutorial as they are beautiful too. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning Patricia! Your tutorial looks brilliant I can hardly wait to try it! I am off to Vegas in the morning so see you when I get back xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous tutorial Patricia .. .. I love the finished look.

    Thank you for sharing and for the inspiration.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another fabulous tutorial, thanks fro sharing. I really must have a go at making these!
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Patricia, queen of the roses,
    another fabulous tutorial in a week. Well done you. No wonder you sister is proud of you and well deserved may I add.
    Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    You are a star and a bright and shinning one at that.
    Have a wonderful crafty day.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Afternoon Patricia, thank you for the fabulous tutorial, very well explained! Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi Patricia
    Thank you so much for sharing it with us i will b able to make roses to go on my bags now lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Patricia! Wow what an amazing tutorial! You've done it step by step and must of put in a lot of hard work for this. Thank you so much for sharing this great tutorial with us all. It's just a shame I haven't got these fab dies. Your flowers are always so perfect and stunning. I'm determined now to get these lol. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi Patricia, well done on your flower tutorial, such a lot of work for you, love the finished rose`s
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Wow that was awesome, truely Patricia you are a gem! You explained it all so clearly!! Was with you all the way!!!!
    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous tutorial Patricia wow you are so talented.I must get this die now Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Patricia, Wilma pointed me in this direction and WOW what a tutorial I'd like your talent well done I'm off to see if I can put some life into my flowers
    jacqui x

    ReplyDelete