Tuesday, 12 August 2014

"Tablet Recipe"

Hi folks hope you have all managed to get through the storms of the last few day.  We have been so lucky compared with others in the North East of Scotland.  We had torrential rain a bit windy but that was it, thank goodness.
Margaretcorgieowner asked what Scottish Tablet was that I mentioned in my last post.  Others asked if it was like shortbread.  It is very sweet but oh! so yummy!!!
Here is the recipe:-

TABLET
2 oz of "BLOCK" butter ..........soft spreadable is absolutely no use
You could use Block Stork but butter is better
1/2 pint Full Fat Milk
2 lbs of Sugar
1 Tin Carnation Condensed Milk (as far as I know you only get one size)

Place the butter and milk in the pan, heat till the butter has melted
Put in the sugar and gently heat till all the sugar has melted
Bring to the boil, turn down the heat till you have a gentle simmer and simmer for 15mins.
Keep stirring as it will burn, stick to the pan if you don`t.
After 15 mins of simmering put in the can of Condensed Milk.
Bring gently back up to the boil, turn the heat back down to the gentle simmer and simmer for 10 mins.  Remember to keep strirring.
You should now start to feel it thicken slightly
Remove from the heat using a "HAND" blender with metal blades start whipping the mixture in the pan.
If you don`t have a hand blender you just have to use "Elbow Grease" and beat.......................
After approx 3 to 4 mins it will definitely start to get thicker.
Beat till thick, but mobile enough to pour from the pan.
Pour onto a well greased baking tray.
Leave the tray of tablet standing on a cooling rack to cool
When cool score into squares.
The texture should be firm......................I really do not know how to put this into words.
Don`t laugh.............  like biting into the crust on a nice apple pie, then it just melts in your mouth

I have a few things I am busy with at the moment.  Unfortunately not crafty but they are keeping me rather busy.
Hopefully later tomorrow it will all settle down and I can have some playtime.

That`s it for now  
Thank you for popping by I really appreciate it
Till next time
Hugs

Oooopps!! forgot to welcome my latest follower JanLtc......lovestocraft.
Will give you a better welcome on my next Post .....

Patricia  xxx

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Patricia. Tablet reminds me of my childhood. Our neighbour used to make it and always gave us some at Christmas. I have a tin of Carnation Condensed in the larder so guess what I'm doing tomorrow!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love tablet!! Have never made it myself though....don't know whether I dare as I'd probably eat all!! Thanks for sharing the recipe Patricia though. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia
    Ummmmmmmm, Mouth watering at the thought. For those who haven't tried it, it tastes like fudge with the texture of Kendal mint cake. And Patricia's is fabulous.
    Ummmmmmmm!
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that must be very sweet xx I think I have tasted something similar that Thorntons used/maybe still sell just called Tablet - I used to buy for my Dad at Christmas as he loved it xx like you say it just disappears in your mouth xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, sound yummy...might have to give it a go!
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patricia, That Scottish tablet sounds like what we down here in the south call gypsy tart, I love the sound of yours and will have to give it a go!! Is it slimming? :D LOL xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing!
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Patricia - brilliant recipe - might have to try it! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fantastic Patricia. It seems to be along the same lines as fudge. Very tempting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Patricia it sounds very delightful if not sinful! The kind of recipe my Dentist would be rubbing his hands at lol! Now if only they did a low calorie version!! Susan xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! all those Calories , very tempted to save your recipe to make as a Christmas extra , well this once wont hurt my diet will it ? ..........????
    Take care
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds so like the fudge I used to make as a child, so yummy but oohhh so fattening when I,m trying to be good. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morning Patricia,
    Sounds yummy, but you probable can'rt eat very much. Think I'll have a go when my Granddaughter visits.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh big sis I can see a lot of tablet being made, then there will be lots of lovely boxes being done and shown on the blog . Yes folks it's very yummy, very sweet and delicious makes a fab gift and if you make other homemade sweets then you can make a selection. Have fun but remember it needs to cool before you start eating as you can burn your mouth. Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Patricia,
    The Scottish Tablet got me! My Mum used to make it and she used to just beat it! It's lovely. She also used to make a pink and white coconut ice - as she called it. A big batch was always made for Christmas/ New Year. Thanks for the memory . I like the box you made very much.
    Myra x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my youngest and I are fans of tablet but it is so naughty. I was given a microwave recipe for it years ago when I got my machine. What a disaster....new machine and burnt tablet, talk about Christening your micro in style!
    Never wanted to make it since. ;) LOL.
    Might have to have another go now, but would only eat it!

    Hugs Erika. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Patricia, Thank you for the recipe, I will be trying this !! I loved your description too hahaha !!
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOh will have to try this! Thanks for sharing! Hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Patricia, just catching up, visitors have now left, had a fab time, weather outragous.
    Thanks for the recipe, I know your tablet is yummy, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Patricia, that sure sounds totally scrummy, sounds a bit like fudge and I'm a real lover of fudge! Thank for sharing your recipe, must give this a go one of these days! Hugs, Ira xox
    Ira’s Crea Corner

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my this sounds delicious too. Never heard of this goodie before (but then I'm no cook, so maybe it's around in the USA!). Probably just as well I don't know about it, sounds very rich & wonderful. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much this sounds absolutely delicious I will be giving this a try, I love cooking and making sweets especially at Christmas.
    Sorry to be late leaving my reply but we have been looking after our little Grandson while his mummy gets everything ready for their holiday in Florida as well as going into her new school getting her classroom sorted. She had been in her last school for 13 years and goodness me had she collected lots of books, files etc, etc.
    Once again thanks so much for the recipe.
    Hugs
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete