Tuesday, 10 March 2015

"Rose TuTorial"

Hello Blog friends, thank you so much for all your visits, comments and compliments on my Bags.
I prefer to make Bags, Boxes and flowers rather than cards.  I can loose myself with a bottle of Cosmic Shimmer Glue, card and paper, I just love it.
I hope you are all well and coping with the weather.  What a day we had yesterday, stared out as though it would be good, it turned to rain with snow blowing through.  The snow did not last thank goodness.
So!! talking of Flowers, a few of you asked about a Tutorial.  I did one ages ago, I  decided to take some photographs while I made some Roses for an up to date version.  I have tried to do it so you can see how I make them and have a go yourselves.  You do get a bit messy with the glue (well I do anyway) Hazel does not like making flowers, she has a real "thing" about sticky fingers.
Here we go:-
Get yourself a cuppa and a plate of cookies, there are lots and lots of pictures.
I use absolute minimum 160gsm any thinner and you are wasting your time.  Plain or patterned paper, I often make flowers from left over scrapes of patterned paper. If I use thicker card I Spritz the card with water to soften the fibres.
I have used this Die today, the petals are already shaped.






Cut two of each size for one Rose.  I have inked the edges on this, you don`t have to, it shows up better for the Tutorial.
With the wrong side of the flowers facing use a fairly large Ball Embossing Tool to form the shape of the petals.  I start at the top, run the tool across the top of the petal then pull it down to the centre.  Do this on each petal, do it quite firmly, don`t be frightened to use pressure this is what gives the textured effect on your flowers.  It is only paper if you rip it go cut another!!!  I always cut extras just in case.
Do this on all your flower pieces.  On the 2 larger ones, once you have done the first part of the process ... turn them over and do this:-

Press very firmly in the centre, this is where you will sit the bud into.
Now to actually build your Rose:-
Using one of the smaller flower pieces put glue on all the petals, push them together firmly to form the first the bud.
Should look like this:- 
Put glue on the 2nd small flower piece the same way as the first.  Pop your bud in the centre and press the leaves against the bud.  Hold for a few seconds till the Glue takes.
I don`seem to have taken a photo of the second small piece being attached....Ooopps!!!
Anyway you have got it don`t you???

Now compare the shape of this piece with the one above that has glue on it. (flower picture 4) The petal on the first are curling up!!  These are curling under!!
Sit your bud on and push the petals up against the sides of the bud holding till the glue takes.
Do not worry of you have too much glue.  Once the glue really dries the Roses go very firm, the more glue the firmer your Rose will be.
Now the final stage:-
Pop the flower you have got so far into the last of your flower pieces.  Push your petals up against the sides, hold a few seconds. Like putting any flower together try to offset layer No3 and No4.
Now you have a beautiful Rose to be very proud of................good for you.
As they say practice makes perfection.  I have made thousands of these and I am still looking for perfection!!!
If you do not have the Die I have used.  Try using SB Classic Circle or Blossom 5Dies.
If you use them you have to do this to form the petals.


  
Thank you for calling by and I do hope you understand all this.  Please let me know if there is anything you don`t understand, I will try to sort it out.
Off to teach a Card Class
Thank you for calling by I really appreciate it
Till next time 
Hugs

Patricia xxx
 





50 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this Patricia I will be giving it another go this week when I can find some time! If they look half as nice as yours I will be thrilled! Susan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful tutorial Patricia, so clear and easy to follow, thank you for sharing. I especially love the way you have used the embossing tool to shape the flowers and give the petals a realistic texture.
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look stunning, as you know I love flowers, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy when you put it like that Patricia, I have a MFT rose die set that I have never used properly (my bad!!) so I am going to follow this step by step...wish me luck!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Patricia,
    Great tutorial, thank for taking the time to show us.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great tutorial Patricia and what a beautiful resulting rose, I think the shading really makes it look realistic. You are the Queen of flowers! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial & great flowers. I attempted a spiral blossom (or is it called bitty blossom?) flower yesterday that went straight in the bin! I think I need to follow your instructions today & make some flowers to add to my Izzy Bags.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh you make me laugh!!! Super tutorial. I am definitely going to hunt out a flower die and give this a go. Beautiful flowers. Thank you for making me smile today!! Hugs, Jayne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow and what a fabulous teacher you are....I have been pondering for a long time whether to get these dies, thought I'd have no reason to add another lot to the collection BUT.....
    LOVE this rose.xx{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them. What a brilliant tutorial and superb photo shots Patricia. I am definitely going to have a go at making some of these roses, I don't have the die but will improvise. Thank you so much hugs Saba xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wondering the size of the rose Patricia when made up with these dies....that will make my decision.xx{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roses made for the Tutorial measure just over 11/2 inches across and 3/4 inch high. That's using 160gsm paper, if you use thicker paper they will be slightly bigger.
      Patricia x.

      Delete
  12. Hi Patricia
    What a Stunning Flower and a Truly Fantastic Tutorial, have you ever thought of doing Videos as I think you'd be great I'd Love to come to your Craft Class but your so far away, I Love going to my Craft Class as its Stamping but she tends to do repeats, I keep thinking of trying out Phill Martin's Craft Class but it's about an hours drive.
    Take great care
    Love and Hugs
    From Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved seeing your tutorial. It is exactly how I shape the flowers but one thing I learned is where to put glue to make the bud part. For some reason I've always struggled with this part. Your way just makes so much sense! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning Patricia, Yours 'are' perfection !!!! don't sell yourself short haha, yours are definitely 'perfection'. This tutorial is really good and shows the steps perfectly, thank you.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is the best tutorial I have seen for these roses. Yours always look so real. I normally do the spiral blossom, but will need to have a go with this.
    Thanks
    Janice W

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this Patricia, beautiful rose, I can never make a decent rose at a decent size always far too big for the card lol!

    Love & hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. wonderful tutorial Patricia - thankyou so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a wonderful tutorial. Thank you for showing us how to make the roses. Yours are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. B-E-A-UTIFUL roses!! I love the dual tones on them and I was just perusing all your bags and purses and OMW...you're amazing!!! I love the styles and designs so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look gorgeous Patricia. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Patricia,
    Thanks so much - more of a Masterclass than a tutorial ! Gorgeous rose and great photos and instructions!
    Thanks so much,
    Love Myra xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantastic tutorial, crystal clear too thank you so much Patricia. I hope the card class went as you wished with none too many grumbles!
    Hugs
    Margaret xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I'm saying it again, so wish I could go to your craft class but you live to far away. Thank you for putting together this great and Easy rose tutorial !I will have a go already tonight, the Izzy bags will have to wait lol
    Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic tutorial!!!! Not to mention gorgeous Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW Patricia,
    gorgeous flower stunning thank you for your excellent instructions
    hug's Lynda xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. you'll never guess Patricia, but I've made one of your gorgeous gift bags, and decorated with roses, oh how I wish I had seen this tutorial first, my roses are pants compared to your's. it's a great tutorial, very clear. I will post my effort tomorrow, I am pleased with the bag though, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've always admired your flowers, Patricia, your roses are very true to life I must say. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial, you're a great teacher! Hugs, Ira xox
    Ira’s Crea Corner

    ReplyDelete
  28. A brilliant tutorial Patricia. I have those dies so no excuse to not give it a go!!
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely roses Patricia. This is something I should be doing while i am still needing to sit a while but don't laugh I can't work sitting down. Always stand up in my craft room. I did just cut out some flowers yesterday in preparation.
    Hugs
    Margaret M

    ReplyDelete
  30. gorgeous roses, it is the easiest to follow tutorial I have seen , so must have a go at it ,thank you
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tutorial Patricia...I'm with Hazel here, I don't like sticky fingers either!! Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Patricia you know how much I love your flowers so a big thanks for the info and pics - I now know where I was going wrong - my rose buds looked okay but when I added the outer petals to the flower it never looked quite right - I didn't have the petals going the other way that's why - will definitely have another go now - thank you xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have been shown so many times by Patricia to make these beauties, but I so hate getting my fingers sticky. She is a great teacher, I always manage to do things when she tells me how, her ladies just don't listen that's there problem, I would never have scrapbooked or got in to card and paper craft if it wasn't for big sis. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Patricia
    Great tutorial and very easy to follow.
    You'll have to get the ladies at the class onto these. . . . they'll thank you for it in the end lol!
    Have a great evening.
    Ang x
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great tutorial Patricia and now I can see why you have such beautiful flowers on your bags and cards.
    Thanks for sharing, have a good evening, hugs Erika. x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you Patricia for your splendid demo of how to make roses without having to buy another expensive flower die, i have a old punch that gives you the exact shape needed to make these roses many hugs Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you Patricia for your splendid demo of how to make roses without having to buy another expensive flower die, i have a old punch that gives you the exact shape needed to make these roses many hugs Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  38. HI Patricia,
    I'm late tonight, but everything comes to him who waits, and this is a great tutorial. I'm away to see if I have these dies, but I don't think I do, hey ho, another one on the list. Thank you, I'm going to print this off now, hope that's ok.
    Maureen xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful rose Patricia, thank you for a great tutorial..hope you had a good day at your class.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Patricia what a beautiful rose I will have to have ago at these.
    Debs xx
    {Debs Cards– my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gosh, thanks for this super tutorial. I do have this die (think it's a NBUS). The pictures were so very helpful, and although I'm with Miss Hazel in the sticky on the fingers bit, this looks do-able. Will have to give it another try, but yours look so very realistic. Will be hard to live up to - for sure. You're right, practice makes - maybe not perfect - but better! :-) . It's been fun seeing the comments on the old books & movies! Love Miss D until the very end...sometimes I have to stop it before it ends. I cry! TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Patricia.
    Thanks for this tutorial. I actually have this die had it for years but didnae know how to do it. I just stacked then on top. Gave a different kinda flower lol.
    Oh well now I know what to do I ca create beautiful roses like urs x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Patricia,
    Fab tutorial, flower looks stunning!
    It's great to get those old dies out and find ways of using new ones!
    I have just received a new delivery from wild orchid crafts, when looking at what I bought and what it cost it dies make you think about how much money you could save by making your own!
    Well I must get back to the crazy cafe that us my blog and see what havoc those ladies have created in my absence !
    Love & hugs
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great flower tutorial!! Beautiful rose!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Patricia,
    Thank you so much for the wonderful rose tutorial.
    I remember your last one, and this is excellent.
    Pity Hazel hates her hands getting sticky,as these are so very worthwhile making, and you feel so chuffed after making one.
    But I know how she feels because as a child I hated getting my hands dirty, and am still the same today.
    Where as my sister used to play marbles in the gutter with all the boys, and win their marbles off them.
    She was a right Tom Boy in those days.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Patricia,
    Thank you for the excellent rose making tutorial. I don't have dies so I'm going to make it from scratch using the material (paper thickness etc) that you have advised.
    Sending good thoughts from Goa, India. Lena

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Patricia,
    Thank you for the excellent rose making tutorial. I don't have dies so I'm going to make it from scratch using the material (paper thickness etc) that you have advised.
    Sending good thoughts from Goa, India. Lena

    ReplyDelete
  48. Super tutorial Patricia, hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  49. An excellent tutorial Patricia, what a beautiful rose it makes up, I must have a go as you explain it so clear x

    ReplyDelete