Wednesday, 2 September 2015

"Making the Box"

Hello Blog friends, followers and passers by.  Welcome to my little corner of Blogland.  Thank you for taking time to call in.  I really appreciate all your lovely comments, hints & tips. 
Talking of Blogland, Hazel and I met up with two ladies who do not have Blogs.  They comment regularly on my Blog, Hazel`s Blog and a few others.  We have met before, Norah & Jess don`t live too far away from Hazel and I, it was nice to catch up with them again. Spent 4 hours chatting, laughing and sorting out the world.  We all had sore "cheeks" in more than one place!!! the seats were rather hard to say the least.
On Monday I posted  a Tutorial for the Flower I have been using lately.  I hope you understood it all.   
Today I am showing you how I make my Boxes.  This works for me I am sure lots of you out there have your own well trusted method.  A few people have mentioned they "just can not make boxes" I am hoping this might help.
I am showing you how I measure and make, using Crafters Companion Box making Board on their Ultimate Pro.  They have worked out the measurements for the base & lid, you just need to remember to turn the board!!!!  If you use any other board you have to take a "Slither" off  2 sides of your Box pieces.
Right here we go:-

This is my Recipe:-
I still do this for every box.  It is so easy to forget from measuring to getting the card to the Guillotine:- 
 My finished box base will be 3"square with 4" high sides .  The lid will be 3" square with sides 1&1/2" deep
Pieces cut and ready to score
Pieces scored all round
Now to cut out the "bits" to get the box to go together
I always start to my right.  For the LID I cut out a small "V" up the creases on the first fold.
For the Base I cut a bigger V to the crease then chop a bit off the "flap"  If you don`t do this there will be excess card when you come to join the sides up.
Rotate and do the same with the next crease/fold to the right
Rotate and do the same all round
Apply glue (I always use Cosmic Shimmer Glue) and tuck the flap under the side
I pin the sides as I go along.  Got these little Clips in the Pound Shop
Lid done, do the base using the same method
That`s your Box done!!!
Now to decorate
Finished and decorated Box
Think I overdid the Distress Ink on some of the edges.  It actually does not look so bad in real life!!!
I hope some of what I have shown you helps
That`s it for today
Thank you for calling by, if this was not for you I am sure something later in the week might be of interest.    I appreciate you visit.
Till next time

Patricia xxx




19 comments:

  1. As usual Patricia a brilliant tutorial, easy to work out, and the end result is a beautiful box. Which when even left plain without the extra added decoration looks wonderful. Hazel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed your gossip day with your friends. If only I lived in Scotland ....... I'm sure your tutorial will come in very useful for some people because you have made it simple to follow. Hugs Christine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia,
    a wonderful tutorial yet again.
    So easy to follow.
    I must admit I have been making boxes for ever it seems, but I have never made a large sided box like yours.
    Must have a go.
    I use a box making board that Sarah brought out long before her ultimate, and it an MDF one.
    I also have the ultimate, but I just got used to using my old one, as I have marked it with permanent pen where each size I need.
    Thank you so much for your time making this tutorial.
    You must have ago at making the pages at the top of your blog, and putting your tutorials there so you can just redirect people there when they want to know how to make something.
    It's all very easy if I can do it you can.
    Just let me know when you want to do it and I will help.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Patricia, Thank you for this very useful step-by-step for making a box. I thank Crafters Companion for their boards every time I make a box, the right and left side of the board, one for base the opposite end for lid, is genius !! and works every time, it saves all the taking off of 'slivers' for the base. Your decorated box looks gorgeous.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the instruction for this lovely box! It's a great size and I will probably be using these dimensions myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Wendy says you make it looks so easy, thank you, kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant tutorial Quick question which side if the score line do you cut or do you go down the middle of the score line glad you had a great meet up with Hazel, Jess and Norah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Tutorial Patricia and really easy to follow! Thank you for all your hard work. Love Myra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A brilliant tutorial Patricia, I couldn't be with out my CC box maker board. I have now invested in the big score and have finally bought some A3 Centura pearl so fully intend to have a play with that...in my spare time!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fabulous tutorial Patricia, thank you for sharing.
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice easy to follow tutorial-thanks. I might manage to make a box with a lid that fits now.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too use this brilliant board for box`s Patricia, but I tend to make "Boxy Envelopes" for my cards, using there Envy Box Maker..
    Great tut! easy to follow..
    Hugs Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial Patricia, thanks. Although I have the Ultimate I tend to use the old CC original wooden boards still! Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Patricia.
    Thanks for the tutorial. I'm still a it crap when it comes to making boxes. I'm getting there tho.
    I bought one of those score pal boards hoping that it make it easier but no lol I'm still rubbish. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh I am going to be busy today in the craft room , I have never made a box before but I am determined to try it following your tutorial , you make it look easy, I'll let you know how it goes, I don't have a very good score board( excuses already ! )
    Thanks again , yours always look so professional! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Patricia,
    just seen this tutorial, thanks for doing it, I make boxes for cards but struggle with deeper boxes, will definitely give it a go - thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great tutorial Patricia. Wouldn't it be great to get ahead of the game before Christmas?
    That never happens in my world!

    Hugs Erika. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Patricia. Will give this a go when I have some time.

    ReplyDelete